@derekbrandow: You on Twitter yet?
Friend: Not yet. Its a way to follow someone right? Find out what they’re doing?
@derekbrandow: That, and so much more.
Friend: I’m scared to get an account. I will inevitable check it too often, or use it too often. Which is probably the point. I guess you update it regularly, right? I mean if you’re on it.
Friend: So its like getting a cell phone. Once you integrate it into life, you can’t go back.
@derekbrandow: Nah, it is what you want it to be, a tool you learn to use. We can all make the mistake of letting the tool take over.
@derekbrandow: It it s powerful tool to connect with people, share ideas, learn….get in the conversation.
So here it is… Twitter! If you are savvy enough to find this lil’ ol’ blog, you might already be aware of (and perhaps already have an account on) the clever micro-blogging tool taking the world be storm. If you are relatively new to this phenomenon, here is a short definition as seen on the Tweeternet: Twitter is a social networking and micro-blogging service that allows you to answer there question, “What are you doing?” by sending short text messages of 140 characters in length, called “tweets”, to your friends, or “followers.”
There is the WHAT, but WHY would I want to clutter my world with another distraction like Twitter? This is a great question, one I have asked myself, and a question many people have done a nice job discussing from their own experience. Following is a short, diverse collection of links to answer WHY and HOW. (You are welcome to see my growing collection of Twitter related references on Delicious)
- Hilarious video of a young man who struggles against the pressure to Twitter his life away.
- Twitter can save your life. A student tweets after being arrested in Egypt.
- 10 most extraordinary tweets, to date.
- If you blog, these 9 tips for using Twitter as a blogger might be enlightening.
- If you are a teacher, Laura Walker AKA @mrslwalker offers “9 Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter.”
- Lastly, here is a site with an extensive, but not exhaustive list of 101 Twitter Resources.